Here is a link to coloring book pages with musical instruments. http://www.kids-n-fun.com/Coloringpages/Musical-Instruments These pictures can help children learn the names of the instruments.
Here are a few games to play after they have colored some pages.
Put the pictures in order of
- smallest to biggest size
- highest to lowest sound
- strings, woodwinds, brass or percussion
Which instruments are in a concert band & which are in an orchestra?
- woodwinds: a piccolo, lots of flutes & clarinets, a bass clarinet (1 or 2); altos, tenors & baritone saxophone; & the double reeds-oboes, English horn & bassoons
- brass: trumpets (& sometimes cornets), French horns, euphoniums/baritones, trombones & tubas
- percussion: drums-snare, toms & bass drums, timpani; mallet instruments-chimes, xylophone, marimba & bells; hand percussion or auxiliary-cymbals, triangle, wood block & lots more!
- double bass (sometimes)-they play along with the tubas sometimes
- strings: lots of violins, a smaller section of violas, a chunk of cellos & a dabble of double basses, harp
- woodwinds: piccolo, 1-2 flutes, 1-2 clarinets, maybe a bass clarinet, an oboe or 2, an English horn & a bassoon or 2
- brass: 3 trumpets, 4 French horns, 2 or 3 trombones, tuba,
- percussion: drums-snare, toms & bass drums, timpani; mallet instruments-chimes, xylophone, marimba & bells; hand percussion or auxiliary-cymbals, triangle, wood block & lots more! And the piano that is considered a percussion instrument, too.
- For orchestra, the amount & type of instruments playing can change depending on the composition that is being played.
For both band & orchestra specialty instruments are added as needed. For example, the Highlands Ranch Concert Band has had many concerts with an added piano. Earlier this year we even added a harp!
+++Sometimes there is a part in the orchestra for a certain woodwind instrument that is only listed as a woodwind in the band, can you find out which one it is?+++
+++Can you find the brass instrument that is not listed in the orchestra but plays with the band all of the time?+++
+++What other instruments can you think of that haven’t been listed in the band or the orchestra?+++
Musical Instrument Crafts
Make your own instruments at home. There are lots of ways to do this, here are some links to get you started.
tambourine, drum, chimes, horn, cymbals, xylophone, comb buzzer, guitar, hand bells: http://www.familycorner.com/crafts-kids-family-2/9-easy-to-make-musical-instruments-for-kids.html